Monday, September 8, 2014

Reading Diary A: Week 4

  • I thought the beginning of this version of the Ramayana was more drawn out but it built a backstory of how the story even began as a story which is neat.
  • I like how we read the Narayan version of the Ramayana first since it is shorter send includes the basics of the story, I think if we had to read this one first we would not be gaining any new information on the Ramayana story as we are now that we know the basics
  • I realized that the title "Ramayana" is a play on Vishnu's other name "Narayana" and then his earthly name reincarnated as Dasartha's son "Raman" ---> Ramayana
  • The description of the city of Ayodhya is quite intricate and expands how I see the city than I had before
  • I thought it was cool how this version starts where the first story left off then leading into the first version from the beginning retold by what we now know to be Rama's sons, why he could not know of their identity I do not know but I find it crazy that he can have children since he is Vishnu reincarnated... does this make his children demigods as well??
  • It was nice to read that Lakshmana was the other piece of Raman, their bond makes more sense beyond brotherly love - dharma
  • Ravana's story was a little hard to follow or all the demons for that matter... maybe because it was so detailed but this shouldn't a flaw to the story just my own sleepiness ;)
  • Narayana defeating the demons he did made me see Rama as the warrior he is inside, with more respect that is well deserved by all that cross him
  • Loving the pictures throughout the story! They help facilitate the picture being drawn in my mind. They are also more war-like and less cartoonish than the illustrations we are used to seeing on this courses image section for 'The Ramayana'
  • At first I was confused as to why Ravana was even granted any power over the gods but reading the backstory on this incident where Brahma grants him his wish, I understand more
  • LOVING the backstories on more characters I already recognized from the other version of the story, this version is fully equipped overall with imagery and detail I think will come in handy during our storybook projects
  • In the first book I was SO confused as to why the king just let Viswamitra take his sons with him on this journey. With Viswamitra telling of Ravana's destruction and need to be conquered I think this is a major part of the story I wish was included in the first version, every version for that matter
  • The mentioning of hermits in this story is something ill have to get used to not imagining like hermit crabs -since that is obviously not what they are
  • I was happy when the part came where Rama and Sita meet and are drawn together came up, it feels like a half story without her since they are such a dynamic couple with much of the rest of their story surrounding this love

No comments:

Post a Comment