Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Reading Diary B: Week 5

The golden deer---
I thought that the description of the deer that Maricha turns into is beautiful but I can see why Lakshmana would insist it was a demon. They are in demon territory after all. It is weird how Rama is so quickly determined to capture the deer since Sita wants it, it is kind of her own fault she was left alone and abducted anyways since she wanted the deer and she insisted that the voice of Rama saying help me was actually his own

The abduction of Sita---
I thought the appearance of Ravana as an old hermit man should have not been so accepting by Sita, but she was so accommodating. Sita is not the smartest woman in this book. Jatayu's death was still sad to me this time reading it and I am glad that he mentions his friendship to Dasartha before his death. The jewelry that Sita manages to throw down to show her path makes more sense to me now since she has been given these items as gifts throughout the story and now that has significance in the journey to find her

Sita in Lanka---
I think that the story of Ravana and his curse is more pronounced this book and easier to understand. I also thought it was interesting that actual rape was mentioned and not just forcing love, the pictures are also more revealing. It is crazy that so many women allow Ravana to have them, they make Sita not look so dumb

Savari---
This story of Savari made me realize that every character in this story has a background or story to tell and all is told even if it is a small story, making every character have a significant role in the world of this story. I thought it was sad she died right after she told them of the monkeys though, but maybe it is because she finally served her purpose in life

Hanuman---
I really liked the story of the monkeys origin being included. Hanuman started his life in a harsh way where he was abandoned and then helped by many so I think he has earned his spot as leader alongside Sugriva, and having eternal life. This was the first animal/human story and I think it was really different than stories of human beginnings in how there is so many magical things happening

Vali---
Vali is depicted in a harsher way this time with a quicker death and I think I like that better because I am not left feeling sorry for him, it says his soul is dark so I am confident in Rama's decision to kill him so quickly rather than waiting ...also the backstory of Vali creates this unpleasant picture of him as well

The expeditions---

No comments:

Post a Comment