Saturday, August 16, 2014

Week 1: Storybook Favorites

The first story that caught my attention is titled, The Royal Girls' Room by Marissa Dutton. The title immediately reminded me of the skit off of The Amanda Show that was called 'The Girls' Room'. This was one of my favorite shows as a kid so it was nice to see how the author took this as inspiration to relate the story back to. I also really liked the format of the story, being told by a nearby royal toilet listening in on the women chatting (women tend to do this). The background and lettering was vey girly and fit with the title and theme of the story which is a neat thing to maybe remember for my own story. Also,The way the author focused on each woman separately was effective to me to understand their backgrounds better.

The second story that I thought was well done is titled, The Mystery of the Missing River. I was drawn by the title because it was mysterious and seemed like what an actual story would be called. I liked the custom background and integration of the title in the opening picture. The author did a good job of splitting different aspects of the story into journal entries by Sherlock Holmes, there is both separation and cohesion in this way that makes it easy for the reader to understand.

The third story that I enjoyed is Women of Epic Proportions by Rosa Pasquarella. I liked the way the stories of each woman in the books were told through their own words by answering questions through a dating game. Pretty clever idea. Besides the overall theme of the story I liked how there were pictures included for each woman, having more visuals is aesthetically pleasing for the reader. I haven't read the books yet but I think that the author included a character to be the host and that was a neat inclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment