Sunday, August 17, 2014

Week 1: Introduction


Hi everybody! My name is Brittany Rodgers. I live in Moore, Ok and commute to school. I went to Southmoore high school and graduated in 2011. I am a senior this year majoring in Sociology. I hope to graduate in the spring with my bachelors, and then take a year off maybe before I start my masters program. I have a two-year-old son named Brady that I got to carry around campus the first semester of my freshman year here at OU ;) Now I am expecting my second boy in early December. I work full-time at a daycare and enrolled as a full time student. I like to take both online and campus courses, there are benefits to both that I love. I am a part of Gamma Beta Phi Honor Society here at OU but my schedule limits this as being the only extracurricular I can be involved in. I used to have a big hobby of collage-ing, cutting various pictures and words out of numerous magazines and creating something new. Other than that, I never really got to be passionate about something which used to really irk me but now as a mother I found a whole different thing to serve my attention to.
Here are a couple interesting things I like to think are a part of my 'story'. I traveled across Europe my senior year of high school with a tour group and two of my very best friends. I fell in love with the sights on this trip, especially everything in Italy! I encourage all of you to go if you ever get the chance. Another thing is that the daycare I work for was hit by the Moore tornado May 20th, we were located right next door to the Moore Medical Center but nobody was hurt (we had about 20 children in the building and 10 teachers). It was a life changing experience for me but I know there are many more people in this town whom lost more than their car or job. This event definitely solidified my love for this city I grew up in.

Here is a picture I took more recently, he was obsessed with those socks!
This was taken of me and my son by 10 news, two days after the event, standing in the remains of the daycare center.

Obviously taken by me, I am sure you might see a bigger version of me around campus this semester:)
 

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Brittany, that picture of you in the ruins of the day care center is INTENSE. I am so glad to know that you and all the children survived that ordeal without anyone getting hurt. I can believe that would be life-changing indeed... and Moore surely deserves some weather kindness in the future after what it has had to endure in these past years! And I am so excited for your happy event in December: what a special blessing for 2014. I hope the semester will be a wonderful one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittany!
    Wow, I think it is amazing that you are working as a full-time student, daycare teacher, and a mom! You should definitely be proud of that! My sister is actually expecting her first baby boy around the beginning of December as well! Is Brady excited to be a big brother?
    I'm so sorry to hear about the Moore tornado hitting the daycare you work at! That must have been terrifying, but I'm so glad no one was hurt! My boyfriend's grandma, Rhonda King, actually runs a daycare in Moore that was very nearly taken out by the tornado.
    I can't wait to read more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brittany! It's really commendable that you are able to be a mom, full-time college student, and daycare employee at the same time. Not many people would be able to pull that off! And congratulations on your pregnancy! You must be extremely excited.

    I have to say, I am jealous of your trip through Europe! I wish I had had an opportunity like that my senior year of high school. However, I will be spending the spring semester abroad in Italy (*fingers crossed*), and would love to hear any advice on traveling or on where to visit while in Europe!

    Hope to learn more about you throughout the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brittany! I honestly applaud you so much for being a full-time student, worker, and a mother. I could only image how hard that must be, but I bet it is also really rewarding! I think it is so cool that you got to travel all across Europe, I have never been but am dieing to go some day! I bet you had some amazing experiences. My heart goes out to everyone affected by the Moore tornado, and I am so happy to hear that everyone at your day care was safe that day! Your baby boy is so precious, and CONGRATULATIONS on baby number 2! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Brittany! It’s great to “meet” you and I’m so glad you’re in the class. I think it’s really neat that you’re a mother and are still working hard to get your education while also working to support your family. That says a lot about your character and is very impressive. Also, I’m sorry that your daycare was hit by the tornado- I can’t imagine how scary that must have been, but I think it’s great you are still there and are still impacting the kids in such a great way. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Brittany! I also grew up in Moore, Ok. I went to high school at Westmoore High School, so I guess we are rivals. Unfortunately, I have never got to take a trip around Europe and have always wanted to. Everyone that I know that has gone to Europe on a vacation has enjoyed it. Italy is one of the first places I plan on going and visiting once I am done with college.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brittany,

    I'm from high school class of 2011, too. I find it extremely impressive that you manage to work a full-time job while pulling full-time college hours, too. I hope you never have to deal with a storm like that again, but living in Moore it only seems like a matter of time. I can't wait to take trips on my own accord after college.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brittany. Wow you have a lot on your plate. I can't image being a full time student, employee, and parent. Congratulations for juggling all that at once, I don't think I could do it. That's a great photo of your son, the clothes that kids are fond of always crack me up. Good luck graduating and finishing your masters program.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Brittany! It's nice to make your e-quaintance. You're quite a gal! It's always refreshing to meet someone who's been through some trials and tribulations in their time. Struggle and hardship build character, and your positive attitude and drive speak to yours.
    It's never too late to find a hobby or interest! I'm almost 26, and I just started training Brazilian jiu-jitsu three months ago. I love it! I've always loved combat sports, and it's been awesome turning my interest in them into a reality by training. I hope you can find something for yourself that you're passionate about!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brittany, congratulations on your second baby! He should be coming very soon now. How exciting. Props to you for being so strong through having children in college and at our age. It really seems like you are happy and do so so so well with children in general but especially raising your own! So honorable and I really look up to your for that. I can’t believe how involved you are on campus on top of everything else you have going on, including a full-time job!?!? I absolutely could not do it! You are a super mom! I have enough of a hard time balancing school and sleep. Amazing, seriously, you’re amazing! What a miracle that you and no one else was injured during the storms. I really love all of the pictures you have added here! It’s so nice to meet you and I really wish you the best with your newest baby boy coming here soon and your firstborn!!

    ReplyDelete