Thursday, August 14, 2014

Week 1: Indian Epics

First off, I got to watch about ten minutes of Sita Sings the Blues (my toddler then proceeded to jump on the bed demanding my undivided attention). I thought this video, I guess you could call it a story, was very.....interesting. I could definitely tell that this was a story being told and there was many different versions as the narrators were arguing at times. I think this was a good idea of how stories are told through the grapevine.

I am nervous about reading the books for this class, as they look like nothing I have read before. I am excited as well though! I think this online course is different from any other I have taken before in the way it deals with other websites such as blogger and Google drive, most of the other classes I have had before usually have work turned in on a book companion website or D2L. It will take some getting used to but I think once the weeks get going in this semester, it will look less chaotic:) I am VERY excited to learn more about the technical aspect such as making blogs and such, where else would I be able to learn this stuff hands on? I think it is a nice aspect to this course that I had not known I would be introduced to prior to registering! nice little surprise!
I don't have any background in my knowledge of India or any stories, except about some dance related Gods I learned about in my intro to non-western dance forms class.

Really really really appreciative of the fact I can work ahead in this course this semester and have the option to finish early because I am due to have my second baby on Dec.1st!! Eeeeekkkk! The less stress on how to finish my courses this semester without missing class the better :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, Brittany, CONGRATULATIONS!!! There is another student in the class who is expecting in early October. I am so excited for you! These online classes are super-flexible, so you can definitely work ahead (you already have a big head start!), and if you run into any problems, just let me know because we can definitely work around anything that might come up. And I think it is great that you took a non-western dance class. Dance is a HUGE part of the Indian tradition... and you already saw the great dancing Shiva there at the beginning of Nina Paley's film! Here is more about the amazing Shiva Nata Raja, Shiva the Lord of the Dance, if you are curious!
    http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the-collection-online/search/39328
    :-)

    ReplyDelete