Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Reading Diary Assesment

I have used numerous methods of composing my reading diaries. There was focus on characters, comments on major events with respect to the reading guide, note as I go along with the reading, go back in the book and write what I remember thinking in bullet points, paragraphs about the entirety of the reading assignment, thoughts separated by plot and characters/beginning and end of assigned reading pages... there's a lot. I think that I started to use the bullet point method a lot though and it was helpful to just write my thoughts in this way without having to adhere to a certain topic or constraint such as character or event. This next part of the course I think it would be beneficial to write in the actual book or underline things I felt were worth going over in my notes AS I read. When I tried to read the book and type up my notes as I went along, this took a longer amount of time, interrupted my thoughts, and was less accessible to do because of technology (having my phone out at work with a book was difficult, or having my tablet at home while reading was more difficult than simply the book and pen/pencil). Also, typing my notes after I read the passage would allow me to understand things or connect things that happen in succession of each other and then note that connection in my reading diary.
I would say I have been doing a sufficient job at keeping up with the readings, but it is harder to do when there are things due everyday so I focus on those things first instead of alleviating the reading assignment on Mondays and Tuesdays. For example, if I could read a little everyday instead of 50 pages all in one night plus making a reading diary for it, I would probably be more likely to get the whole reading assignment finished with little stress. There have been a couple times I was not able to finish the whole reading assignment but thought that since I read most of the pages that I could make a sufficient reading diary post based on what I did read then go back and review the reading guide so I know what happened for the rest of the section of reading. I like the reading guides in this respect. Managing my reading throughout the week would be a better bet of me finishing and not just rushing through though, which causes me to lose a lot of important detail and essence of the whole book.
All in all, I use the reading diaries to set up my storytelling posts but do not go back and look at them otherwise. Since there are a lot of assignments during the week that pertain to the book, it is easier to remember the content in the book than it would be by just reading it and making notes and being done with.

No comments:

Post a Comment